BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, May 7, 2009

INDD ?


Today is INDD.
International No Diet Day.

This is an annual celebration
of body acceptance and diversity.
See more at:

http://www.largesse.net/INDD/

Supporters of this holiday
voice concerns about the dangers of dieting,
self-esteem issues, and social discrimination.
They feel that the diet industry is
benefiting from "fatphobia".

Yet, I feel that if you
are dieting in a healthy way,
that it can prolong your life
and help you gain confidence.

You don't have to resort to
starving yourself
or having surgery.

Just cut out that extra hot dog,
mocha cappuccino,
and midnight snack.
Trim your choices-
don't alleviate them all together.

If I was told I could never have
another candy bar
the rest of my life,
all I would think about the
rest of my life
was that candy bar.

Avert your focus.
Too much food obsession
can backfire.
The secret is busying yourself
with other activities.

I mean,
when I go shopping for the day-
I rarely stop to eat.
I don't think about it.
I'm busy doing other things.
And by the time I get home,
I'm too tired to eat.

Read a book,
take a walk,
redecorate,
start a journal.

And if you want a piece
of chocolate-
then by all means,
have it!
But just make sure you
subtract something of
equal calories and fat
from your daily menu.
Or exercise it off.

There are days when I just
want to buy a whole bag of
Hershey's miniatures
and eat everyone of them-
(except the Mr. Goodbar-
which I don't really like).

But once I get busy doing other things,
I forget that urge.

Or at least replace it
with a healthier selection.

I made lasagna for company
over the weekend
and Monday morning there
were two pieces left in the fridge.

They haunted me.
So much that I took them out
and set them on a plate
and thought about microwaving them
for my lunch.

Then I thought to myself-
"You can have a great salad
and it will leave you feeling
just as satisfied as that lasagna."

Guess what.
The lasagna is still in
the fridge and destined
for the garbage today.

It feels good to say "no".

But if you want to celebrate
International No Diet Day,
then you certainly should.

But also remember that
it's not Pig Out Day
or Forget About Tomorrow Day-
that it is just a rest
from your strict schedule.
A mini-vacation.
A reprieve.

In twenty four hours
the wagon is going to
pull back up to your doorstep.

You're gonna climb in
and forget about today.

You're gonna get back
in the groove
and celebrate your journey
of Finding Thin.

Our time is too little
to be so big.

1 comments:

sisterlinda said...

INND.....heck they have a day for most things nowdays! We will have to make up our own day called SBD(and I don't mean Son of a Bitch Day) it will stand for Stay Busy Day! You are so right about the staying busy part...food rarely crossing my mind when I am busy or having a good time....yes, having a good time can actually happen without food!

I believe that all of us dieters take a break now and then. Have ourselves a small slice of pie or that tempting candy bar...I know I do.

My wagon is actually headed in the right direction this week....downhill! You would think going downhill would be easier, but it's not. Up hill is where I have been headed for so long that it is harder to go the other direction. It just takes a lot of work but I am determined to make this journey of 200 days headed downhill!