BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Craving Crusher


My new favorite lunch is a pita salad.
I literally salivate whenever I think about it.
And thank goodness
it's both healthy and delicious.

And easy to prepare, to boot!

I prefer the whole wheat pita-
(or Kangaroo Bread, as some call it)
and most groceries sell it near the bakery
or the bread products.
I happened to run across
the Weight Watcher pitas while out of town,
(which are half the points as regular),
but you can't find them here locally.

I buy the Shreds lettuce-
slice up a few radishes, cukes
and carrots-
add reduced-fat feta cheese,
chopped cherry tomatoes,
and a smidgen of raisins.
I blend all that with Good Seasons
dry packaged dressing
(that I mixed
with seasoned rice vinegar only).
No oil.

I usually heat two pita halves
for 15-20 seconds in the microwave
and stuff those babies with
my salad concoction.

It is filling and fit
and satisfies that crunchy-but-sour
craving I usually get about mid-day.

Depending on your diet plan,
you could add tuna or chicken-
or try just lettuce with sliced strawberries
and a lo-fat poppy seed dressing.

One tip is that
you may want to store your pitas
in the refrigerator.
I've found out that they don't
keep very long at room temperature.
There's nothing worse than
planning a great pita salad-
only to find the bread's gone green.

A salad by itself seems lacking substance-
but a salad stuffed inside those wheat
pockets looks like cheating!

Have you got a favorite
craving-crusher?
Share it with all of us here.

We can always use some great new ideas
to help make this journey
a more pleasant process.

33 more days and we're halfway there!

3 comments:

sisterlinda said...

I have never had a pita salad. I will have to try one sometime.

Did ya have to go and mention that this journey will be half over in 33 days? That's scarey. Somedays it feels like I will never make it to the finish line.

Me and Charlie Tuna have had a falling out. I think it is time we make up and we start having our affair again. We use to be together EVERYDAY for lunch but I got bored with him and ventured away. Charlie helped me through those first 33 days...I need to give him a chance to finish the final 33 days. He was a big help.

I love Charlie smeared with a little mustard and horseradish sauce.

Welcome back Charlie....I need your help. Hey, I might even try him in a pita!

Kelli said...

I've gone through several cravings the past couple months. I'll have to try the pita. Here are some of my recent cravings:

PictSweet Edemame (5 pts for entire bag): It's a steam-in bag of edemame still in the shell. I dip them in soy sauce. Great for when I want a long, hands-on meal. Kind of like eating a bag of peanuts!

Fit & Active Ice Cream Sandwiches (2 pts): These Aldi-brand snacks are just as good as the WW or Skinny Cow brands, but much cheaper.

Progresso Beef Stew & Baked Potato (5 pts): The entire can of soup is 2 pts, and a 7 oz baked potato is 3..and it's a hearty combo when the soup is poured over the potato.

Reubens: You can get Healthy Life Rye Bread for 1 pt for 2 slices, Lite Provolone for only 1 Pt and Corned Beef is only 1 pt/oz. Yummy on the Foreman Grill with some sauerkraut & fat free 1000 Island.

Cathy said...

A friend told me about a snack treat ... I like fruit, but sometimes it just doesn't satisfy the craving for a sweet. But instead of just eating a plain apple, wash, core and slice the apple. Place apple slices in a plastic bag and sprinkle on a packet of splenda and a shake or two of cinnamon. Refrigerate until you're ready for your snack. I don't know what it is in the splenda, but it keeps the apple from turning brown. And it is a satisfying snack!