BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, June 5, 2009

I'll Huff And Puff


Well, so far I've
been trudging to Curves
on a regular basis
and I keep crossing my fingers
that results will be forthcoming.

After an exerting workout,
I feel like I should have melted off
a ton of fat
and be ready to slip into
a cute little sun dress,
flip flops,
and disappear into the sunset
with my husband grasping
my tiny little waist.

But,
no.

Yesterday was almost embarrassing.

There was just me and another girl
in the entire place.
And she was probably about
thirty or forty pounds heavier than me.

I thought to myself for a moment
how hard it must be for her to
finish the circuit,
but I just smiled at her
and started my workout.

After a few minutes,
there I was-
panting like a sweaty, rabid dog-
my face red as strawberry ,
my tee shirt sticking to me like glue,
my heart beating like a jungle drum
when the cannibals are
ready to attack.

There she was.
Cool as a chilled cucumber.
Lifting, pushing,
stepping-
all with the grace and agility
of a seasoned gymnast.
There wasn't a drop of sweat
to be found on her brow.

I couldn't wait to get out of there.
I couldn't breathe.
I couldn't speak.
I wondered if the defibrillator
in the corner was ready for shock mode.

But this whole experience
has taught me
that I am out of shape.

That I do have lungs -and they hurt.
That I do have ham strings
and arms
and shins
and ribs
that scream out
every time I pull
into the parking lot at Curves.

But, you know what?
I'm not going to listen
to their blood-curdling cries.

I'm going to go in there
and die-
just so I can live.

Just so I can walk out someday
and know-
without a doubt-
that I have
Found Thin.

5 comments:

sisterlinda said...

I wish I lived close so I could join you. It is always a big help when you have a partner in some type of exercise program. I am glad that you took that BIG step and joined....now Big Sis here will have to get busy so you don't disappear, into that sunset, without me right beside you....I don't want to be 2 miles back trying to catch up!

Keep on keepin on! The journey is not over yet!

Mama Jewel said...

Okay. I think there was some secret intervention going on Wednesday night. Tina wanted me to go and "check out" Curves with her. We went in and listened to what they had to say. Guess who wound up joining and who didn't! I think it was a ploy to get me there! Well, it worked! I have officially signed up and had my first workout last night. Not bad at all...Hoping to get the blood pressure and sugar down and I know this will help. Love you sneaky sisters!

Margaret said...

Your post is certainly an inspiration for me, as I really, really need to be at Curves or some such "torture place". I have battled weight forever! (sigh) I will follow your blog and watch your journey, and maybe step into the Curves and faint....(smile)

Kari D said...

I have one question....was the fat girl at curves me? haha!
I am so glad you, Erin, and now mom joined Curves. It has become a place that I love to go. I have met new friends and feel better every day knowing I go there and workout. It is gonna be long road for me, but I am ready to step into some skinny clothes at my 20 yr high school reunion next year!
oNE MORE THING...do you want to start running 1/2 mile with me before we go to Curves...I need a partner!

Rae said...

Congrats to sister Jewel!

To Margaret- Welcome Aboard! And thanks for visiting!

And Kari-
Have you lost your freakin' mind, or what?
Run a half mile?
I can't even walk one yet!