BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Dressing Room Discrimination


I guess I'm going to have to
push my chair away from the
computer,
roll up my sleeves,
and become a fashion designer
for the body-challenged,
middle-aged,
a little-on-the-doughy side
women of the world.

I've been shopping for an outfit
to wear to my nephew's wedding.
Years ago it wasn't a matter of
searching for the clothes-
it was finding the money.

Now I've got the funding,
but all I can find is gorgeous outfits
that only come in single digit sizes,
or horrid, stretchy grandma-gear
that claims to be one size fits most-
which is a big fat lie.

All the new tops make me look pregnant-
the pants make me look like I'm
hiding ten pound bags of potting soil on each thigh,
and the shoes make me look
like a hippo on stilts.

Needless to say,
shopping is a depressing past time
and I've had it up to my double
(Okay... Triple)
chin with this nonsense!!

Here are a few things I'd like
the fashion world to know:

1. Just because it's Plus Size, doesn't
mean it has to be black, elastic, and
printed with flamingos.

2. Use a universal pattern.
I don't want to have to try on
everything from Large to ThreeX.
I want to know my size and enter the
store confidently.

3. Don't ever tell me again that
Jennifer Hudson is a size 6.

4. Segregate the dressing rooms.
I don't want a man, a skinny girl,
or a runway model sharing my
three way mirror.

5. Don't ask the whole freakin' store
to help me find the XXL section.

6. Just because I'm heavy
doesn't mean I don't like sexy underwear,
delicate bras,
and really cool pajamas.

7. Humor me. Like I've said before-
if my food can't be fun, then
something should ne!

8. Look at me like I'm another unique person
that is purchasing clothes-
not a slob with extra cellulite.

9. Don't trick me with
slenderizing mirrors.
Believe me, I know the difference.

10. Help!


Wish me luck.
My search continues.....

1 comments:

sisterlinda said...

I HATE going shopping for clothes! I never shop (for clothing) except when I HAVE to...like special events. Sure I look for clothing but it is always the bright red sign that says clearance, that gets my full attention.

Why can women not be treated the same as men in the sizing department...you know waist size and length. Not every size fits the same. I have sizes ranging from 12 to 18 and they all fit me! It that right? Heck, NO! Soooooo, that means we have to visit the fitting room to try it on!

Maybe that is why I have this love for yard sales and resale shops. I never have to try anything on cause I really don't care if I wasted that $1 on something that won't fit me!

Good luck on finding something for the wedding!