BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

It's Not A Fun House Mirror


Once again I re-examine my goals
after watching The Biggest Loser
last night.

After seeing their
"before" pictures,
the common sentiment of
all the contestants was
"I wish someone had told
me I was that fat..."

But-
in reality-
Do you?
Do you really want someone
to confront you about your
weaknesses, failures, your
struggles and your imperfections?

Because that's what being
overweight is-
It is- (bottom line here)-
the inability to gain control.

Control of your habits,
your cravings,
your body
and your life.

It's like being in a vehicle
with no steering wheel-
no brakes,
no headlights,
no mirrors and no turn signals.
You are out of control.
Plain and simple.

These contestants
seemed genuinely unaware
that they were fat.
It crept up on them
one pound at a time
until they fit the giant mold.

I looked at myself in the
mirror last night-
critically.
I don't need anyone to tell me.
I see it.
The truth reflects back at me
every time I try on clothes
or take a bath
or hang out with thin friends.

I don't need anyone to tell me
that I need to lose weight.

But-
I DO need to tell myself.
I need to re-establish my mind set.
I've faltered from this diet-
this road-
this journey.

I need to get control again.
I need to steer toward the future,
brake before I get full,
shine light on my trouble spots,
watch the rear view mirror
for past mistakes,
and turn my signals
to go right.

RIGHT to the finish line.
In total control-
In total success-
In total self-confidence.

Tell yourself today
what your body needs to hear.
Before it's too late.
Before the giant mold fits
and you forget
what thin even looked like.

2 comments:

sisterlinda said...

It would be nice to not have love handles that you can literally hang onto! It would be great to slip on a pair of shorts when it is 90 degrees outside. It would be wonderful to wave to someone and not have your bat wings still waving long after your friends have left.

What is it gonna take? I am not sure. I can also look in the mirror and see that I don't really like my image. I sure wish I had a personal trainer or friend to come knock at my door each morning and MAKE me get up and move! That is really what it took for the couples on Biggest Loser....it took someone to force them to move and eat right.

I am going to have to find my inner self and be my own motivator. I have to MAKE myself do what I know is right.

We can do it Sis! We can cross that finish line in style and smiles!

sisterlinda said...

I just noticed there were 4pair of legs in that picture. 4 sisters? I guess I am the one with the tanned legs...LOL! Pick yours!