BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, February 9, 2009

It's All About The Shoes


Starting a diet is a lot like buying a new pair of shoes.

Not only are there hundreds and hundreds
to chose from,
but somehow we manage to try on
and accumulate several over the years.

Just like shoes,
sometimes the fit of a diet isn't quite right.
Too restrictive-
too boring-
Way too fancy-
Or even too loose.
That just gives us the excuse
to go out shopping
for something better.

Just like buying new shoes,
whenever we start a new diet,
we treat it carefully at first.
Loving the way it fits.

It just feels right, doesn't it?

We write down the calories carefully,
we weigh our meat choices,
and we savor new flavors.
We love the way we start to look
in this diet.

But soon
we grow tired of keeping it polished-
it becomes boring-
you begin to get a big ol' diet blister
that won't go away.
You think about throwing this diet
in the back of the closet
and giving up.
You want to just go running
through fields of chocolate chips
and ruin it completely.
You dream of something better.

But stop.
The blisters are only temporary.
And when they go away,
you will be a new person.
Your shoes will sparkle and shine
your body will be thankful
you didn't go a little crazy on it.

If you don't do it today, that big old diet shoe
will come kick you in the big old butt someday.
Believe me.


Sure,
you can change shoes once in awhile.
Have a nice Valentine dinner
with your sweetheart.
Try a cupcake at the baby shower.
Steal a couple of french fries from the kids.

But know when to stop.
Know when to pull those diet shoes back on
and walk the straight and narrow again.
Know when to set aside the play shoes
and get serious.

My sweet sister-in-law Karla
confessed to me recently that
she has been experiencing a great deal
of personal and professional stress lately.
Even though she is dieting,
she told her co-workers that
she just had to have chocolate!
"I had just one mini-candy bar
and that is all it took", she said.
Karla knew when to stop.
She knew that two might lead to six
and six to twelve
and soon the entire bag would
be empty before sensibility took over.

I'm proud of you, Karla.
I think you know your new diet shoes
make you look taller :) and cuter.

So, I just want to say to everybody-
just know when to stop.
When to say no.
When to just walk away in
your brand new diet shoes,
smile proudly,
and say-
"No thanks".

2 comments:

sisterlinda said...

Walking in these diet shoes, can be kinda boring and try to get off the beaten path of this journey. I say, if you REALLY crave something ..GO FOR IT! Like you said, just know when to stop! Instead of buying that full dozen donuts, just buy 1. I still carve my cheese crackers and I allow myself a handful when I need them....it was never the crackers that made me fat, it was the WHOLE BOX FULL!

I will continue to walk in these diet shoes of mine, even if they stray a bit....I will be proud and I will see the rest of you at the finish line!

Mama Jewel said...

Yesterday I had to put on my "running shoes"! Shan came over after church and she wanted to bake chocolate chip cookies! Since her Dad's not able to eat sweets anymore, she wanted to bake them at MY house. Rick went to the store to get chocolate chips..came home with chocolate CHUNKS! She made 2 batches of cookies...I in the meantime, got out my 8 frozen strawberries, 1/2 cup of 2% milk and Splenda and made me a frozen delight in the blender. I was able to take off my "running shoes" put on my "slippers" and RELAX! Dodged that one!! Love ya..